Please do not include any confidential information in this form. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.
Scott Talkov is a Shareholder in the Riverside office of Reid & Hellyer, one of the Inland Empire's oldest law firms. He joined Reid & Hellyer in 2009 after serving as a Summer Law Clerk with the firm in 2008. The emphasis of his practice is in real estate, business and bankruptcy litigation.
Scott is Past-President of the Riverside County Barristers (Young Attorneys') Association and an Officer in the Inland Empire Bankruptcy Forum. He is also active in the Pick Group of Young Professionals and Riverside County Bar Association.
Beginning his studies at University of California, Riverside, Scott completed his bachelor's degree as a 2004 graduate of University of California, Santa Barbara. Active in student government at both campuses, UCSB awarded Scott the University Service Award for exemplary campus leadership.
Scott has been published in the Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Journal of the American Bar Association and California Real Property Journal of the State Bar of California.
Scott volunteers his time as the Assistant Director of the Associated Students Legal Clinic at the University of California, Riverside, where he provides free advice to students with real estate and civil litigation issues.
Scott has appeared in California Superior Courts in Riverside, San Bernardino, Orange, Los Angeles and San Diego counties, as well as the California Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Second Division (Riverside). His federal court experience includes the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- State Bar of California, 2009
- United States District Court, Central District of California, 2009
- United States District Court, Southern District of California, 2014
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2016
- Real Estate Litigation
- Real Estate Financing and Trust Deed Litigation
- Title Disputes
- Partition Actions
- Commercial Landlord/Tenant
- Misrepresentation, Nondisclosure, Fraud and Negligence in Sales and Leases
- Construction Law
- Business and Civil Litigation
- Breach of Contract and Business Disputes
- Corporate Litigation, including Alter-Ego Disputes
- Debt Collection and Creditor Rights
- Media Litigation, including Newspaper of General Circulation Adjudications
- Agent, Broker, and Independent Contractor Disputes
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Representation of Trustees, Creditors and Debtors in Chapter 7, 11 and 13 Bankruptcies
- Asset Exemption, Objection to Claims, Plan Objections and Relief from Stay
- Adversaries and Contested Matters, including Non-Dischargeability Litigation and Motions to Dismiss
- Appeals to the Ninth Circuit and Ninth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel
- Scott Talkov, Exposing the Myth of Mortgage Prepayment Penalties in the Aftermath of River East, 44 Real Prop. Tr. & Est. L. J. 585 (Amer. Bar Assoc., Fall 2009)
- Scott Talkov, Mortgage Shotgunning and the Priority of Trust Deeds, 32 Cal. Real Prop. J. 9 (State Bar of California, 2014)
Published & Unpublished Decisions:
- Eleiwa v. Whitmore, No. CC-12-1559-ClDKi (9th Cir. B.A.P. Jun. 5, 2013)
- In re Matthew Banks Ashworth, No. 8:11-bk-10946-RK, 2012 Bankr. LEXIS 4563, 2012 WL 4596217 (Bankr. C.D. Cal. Oct. 1, 2013)
- Ashworth v. Ehrgott (In re Ashworth), BAP No. CC-12-1591-TaDPa, 2013 Bankr. LEXIS 5256 (9th Cir. B.A.P. Dec. 16, 2013)
- Ashworth v. Ehrgott (In re Ashworth), 637 Fed. Appx. 387 (9th Cir. 2016)
- Inland Western Temecula Commons v. Potter, No. E05785, 2014 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 6590 (Cal. App. 4th Dist. Sep. 18, 2014)
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- William J. Lasarow Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service to the Community, Riverside Legal Aid, 2013
- Civitas Award for Unique and Significant Contributions to the Civic and Cultural Life of Riverside and Inland Southern California, KUCR 88.3 FM, 2012
- Guest Lecturer, Real Estate Law and Business I, Prof. George Lefcoe, University of Southern California School of Law (2014, 2015)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Riverside County Barristers Association, President (2011-12 & 2014-15), Board of Directors (2010-16)
- Inland Empire Bankruptcy Forum, Board Member (2014-Present) & Member (2013-Present)
- Riverside County Bar Association, Board of Directors (2011-12 & 2014-15)
- Federal Bar Association, Inland Empire Chapter, Member
- Pick Group of Riverside Young Professionals, Member
- National Eagle Scout Association, Member